If you’re planning on doing agility training with your pooch, you’ll want to check out my dog hurdle reviews!
It really is one of the most important training tools to keep on hand for any sort of coursework.
While you can make your own (it’s not terribly hard), I find it easier to just buy one.
Below, you’ll find a good mix of budget friendly dog hurdle brands as well as some slightly pricier sets and ideas.
We’ll check them out in a minute, but first let’s go over a few things you need to know about dog hurdles.
Agility Dog Training And Pit Bull Terriers: Everything you need to know.
What are dog hurdles?
Dog hurdles are exactly what they sound like- hurdles that dogs jump over.
They’re most commonly used in coursework, but you don’t have to be training a show dog to find them useful.
Dog training hurdles make a fun addition to your backyard for trick training, too!
Take a look at the video below for an impressive display of dog hurdles in use!
What to look for in a dog hurdle set
While dog hurdles look fairly straight-forward and simple, there are a few things you’ll want to consider before clicking the “buy” button.
Dog Hurdle Size
The dog agility hurdle height and size is probably the most important consideration.
Think about it like this, a German Shepherd could simply lift his paws and step right over a hurdle made for a Chihuahua!
The good news is most dog hurdles for sale are adjustable in both height and width.
However, you’ll still need to pay attention to the maximum measurements for both.
Here’s why I recommend buying a dog hurdle versus making it: stability.
The last thing you want is for your dog to get hurt during your agility training sessions!
Now, I’m not saying every dog hurdle for sale is more stable than one that you make, but the top brands pay very close attention to creating a safe product.
Basically, you want something that can either be pounded into the ground or comes with strong base supports on both sides. Or both!
These are the two most important considerations. Others include:
- Weight of the set (lightweight is better for travel, obviously)
- Materials- a PVC dog hurdle set is more durable than one made of cheap plastic.
- Indoor versus outdoor use
- Your budget- some can get pricey, others are fairly cheap!
Now that you know what to consider when shopping, let’s check out some of my favorite dog hurdles on Amazon.
Dog Hurdle Reviews: Best Picks on Amazon
As far as where to buy dog hurdles, Amazon is my top pick because they have such a great variety.
Of course, all that variety makes it hard to choose the perfect set! My dog hurdle reviews below will help you narrow things down a bit!
1. PAWISE Dog Hurdle Set
If you’re just starting out and not really sure that your dog will even like agility training, then the PAWISE is a good starter set.
Yes, it’s fairly basic, but it’s also among the most budget-friendly dog hurdle sets.
Features & Pros
- Easy to assemble
- Ability to adjust the height to any level
- Comes with a carrying bag for storage
- Long stakes securely seat the hurdle in the ground
- Made in China
- Hard to put everything in the bag and zip it up
- Spikes are made of metal, so when they’re not in the ground, they could pose a safety issue
- Clips that hold the poles together are a little flimsy according to some users
While this is far from my favorite overall dog hurdle set on Amazon, it’s one of my favorite starter sets.
The price is reasonable and it comes with just enough to give your dogs a test run with hurdles.
If they end up loving it, you can always move on to a better set and keep this one as an add-on or a backup set.
- Outdoor hurdle bar is is the perfect for dog agility starter equipment
- Lightweight, quick to set up, and easy to change height high or low
- Comes with convenient carrying bag for easily storage
- By inspiring interactive fun, dog agility training nurtures the relationship between you and your dog
- Satisfaction guaranteed or 100% refund; send feedback to customer service via order email
2. Triple A Dogs Combo Set
While the PAWISE is a good starter set just for hurdles, the Triple A is ideal for those looking for a more advanced agility set.
Along with the jump, it also comes with weave poles, another “must have” in coursework training.
Features & Pros
- Designed for safety first. Uses an above-ground system to hold it upright.
- The jump uprights will fall out of the way if bumped.
- Crossbar is not attached to the uprights, so it too will fall away if bumped.
- Comes with a carrying bag.
- Includes measuring strap for easy weave set up
- Fully height adjustable
- Without a stake, you’ll need to be able to set it up on very level ground.
- Not clear where it’s made
While I like that it doesn’t have to be pounded into the ground for maximum stability, it wouldn’t really work well in my backyard. I don’t have many perfectly flat spots.
If you do have a flat surface to work with, though, I really do like this set.
- ✅* Safety first, jumps uprights are NOT stakes and will gently fall out of the way if bumped by your dog
- ✅* Safety first, crossbar is NOT attached to uprights, falles away gently if bumped by your dog
- ✅* Great Savings on this combo! Includes carry bag. Includes measuring strap for easy weave set up
- ✅*Designed for safety. We use this equipment for training our dogs.
- ✅*Pictured with my 70 lb. Smooth Collie Mila...
3. MiMu Dog Agility Equipment Set
The MiMu set comes with pretty much every piece of agility training equipment you’ll need, at least until you reach advanced stages.
Features & Pros
- Great for small to medium dogs up to 90 pounds
- Comes with a tunnel, hurdles, and weave poles, and a “pause box.”
- Tunnel is AKC complaint.
- Hurdles are adjustable height-wise.
- Uses stakes that screw into the ground for stability.
- Carrying bags included
- Not weatherproof
- Tunnel material is very thin
- Not for dogs over 90 lbs
- [Train & Exercise Your Dog]: The MiMu Full-Size Dog Agility Equipment for Dogs sharpens obedience, speed, dexterity, and dog quality of life; Use for casual play or introductory training; Perfect for small to mid-sized dogs up to 90 pounds (40.8kg)
- [Short Pop Up Tunnel Dog Tube]: Coil-shaped crawl tunnel expands to 5-foot (1.5m) length x 2-foot (0.6m) diameter and quickly collapses when finished; Tunnel double-end openings makes this regulation size (AKC & NADAC compliant); To open, untie strings around tunnel and allow the tension to open tunnel; Constructed from woven synthetic polyester; Casual use only and not weatherproof
- [Agility Hurdles Dog Jump]: 36-inch wide x 33.5-inch tall (91.4cm x 85.1cm) with adjustable height set by 2 included pole connectors; We recommend placing the crossbar approximately 4 inches (10cm) above the ground to begin and raise it to the next level when your dog is confident and masters that height; Choose to set dog agility jump crossbar attached to the stand or allow it to come off if your pooch does not make it over
- [Agility Weave Poles]: 23.6x1.2 inch (59.9x 3 cm) poles include ground stakes that you screw into the pole on one end for maximum sturdiness; Once your dog gains confidence in weaving through a lengthy alley, slowly start to shorten the distance between the rows (push away the rows from each other) until the dog touches the bar rods while walking through it; then move the rows into a straight line and have your dog weave between them
- [Package Contents]: Dog agility course equipment package includes (1) polyester fabric square pause box, (1) short pop up play tunnel, (1) puppy tunnel anchoring rope, (1) adjustable dog agility jump hurdle with poles, (8) weave poles dog agility pieces with screw-in ground stakes, and (2) agility equipment carrying bags
4. PawHut Adjustable Dog Jump Bar Set
If you want a nice hurdle set and don’t need all the extras (like tunnels and what not), the PawHut is a fairly straightforward set.
Features & Pros
- Includes a total of four complete agility jumps to let you set up more complex routines.
- Adjustable heights
- Top bar falls off when bumped for added safety
- Bottom bar is fixed for stability and works on just about any surface
- Carrying bag included
- Made of lightweight materials, including durable PVC
- A bit of a challenge to put together and get the poles to stay firmly in place
- Not clear where they’re made
- Not ideal for large dogs (too light, and one good bump from them would knock them apart)
Although this set adjusts up to 36″ high, I feel like it’s really ideal for small to medium breeds.
I do like that you can set up multiple jumps in different heights. It’s a good casual use set (as in, not training your dog for a competition).
- SET OF 4 BAR JUMPS: This dog agility starter kit includes 4 dog agility jumps in total, which allows you to conduct more challenging exercises.
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHTS: The height of the dog jumping bar can be moved up and down with a clip, meaning you can adjust it freely for different dog sizes and abilities.
- FIXED BOTTOM BAR: The bottom bar of this dog agility kit is made specifically to work on almost any surface. From concrete to grass to dirt, this training kit is easy to use anywhere and move from place to place.
- CARRYING BAG INCLUDED: The dog agility training kit includes a carrying bag that's great for taking your set to the park, on the go, or just to the backyard. The carry bag is also a convenient way to keep all the various parts together for easy storage.
- DOG AGILITY KIT DIMENSIONS: 4 Bars per Set, High Jump-Gate Dimensions: 37.5" L x 25.5" W x 37.5" H.
5. Trixie Agility Dog Training Hurdle
The Trixie Agility Ring makes a fun addition to your standard hurdles and a great way to take your agility training to the next level.
Features & Pros
- Includes 2 posts, a ring, 2 cross bars and the connectors.
- Height adjusts up to four feet high.
- Includes nylon carrying bag
- The ring attaches to the bars with Velcro, which is easily replaceable if it wears out.
- Fully collapsible and folds down flat for easy storage
- Velcro wears out easily, so while it’s a pro, it’s also a bit of a con.
- Doesn’t ship free (and it’s kind of pricey to ship)
- Not sure where it’s made
Obviously, this isn’t the best hurdle to start with, but it’s a fun add-on to your regular routine once your dog has mastered the basics.
I like that it’s large enough for bigger dogs! It’s hard to find jump rings that accommodate large breeds.
- Kit includes the components for 1 ring: 2 posts, 2 horizontal crossbars, 1 ring, hook and loop fasteners, plus a carrying bag.
- Working with the ring is a basic form of agility training, which may follow the hurdle
- The ring diameter is about 22 inches (inside), and the height is adjustable
- The posts, crossbars and ring are made of plastic
- The support poles include steel spikes for inserting into the ground
6. Rosewood Small Dog Agility Hurdle
The Rosewood dog agility hurdle is a great option if you want something to use indoors with your small dog.
Features & Pros
- Made out of lightweight foam so you can take it anywhere
- That same foam makes it safe for dogs just starting out, since it won’t hurt them if they smash into it.
- Designed just for smaller to medium pups
- Can be used indoors and outside
- Adjusts to four heights
- Cute design
- While it can be used outdoors, they’re likely to get blown over if it’s even remotely breezy.
- Chewers may destroy them since foam is very enticing!
- Not the most durable dog hurdle set.
- Designed specifically for small and medium sized dogs
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Soft foam construction, easy assembly, safe for training.
7. The Dog Agility Shop Travel Jump Set
At first glance, this set looks quite a bit like the Pawhut set above.
While it’s also a fairly straightforward hurdle set, there are some notable differences, namely where it’s made and what size dog it can handle.
Features & Pros
- Made in the USA
- Perfect for dogs of all sizes (not just small or medium breeds)
- Freestanding bases are good for indoor or outdoor training
- Adjustable heights from 4″ up to 32″
- Comes with four jumps total
- Stabilizing legs that won’t tip over
- Top jump bar displaces for safety, bottom bar is fixed for stability
- No carrying bag, which is odd since it’s called a “travel set.”
- A smidge pricier than the other sets so far (although well worth it)
Considering the fact that the only real “con” is the lack of a carrying bag (again, it’s a travel set, you’d think they’d include one), I feel super confident in recommending this set.
In fact, if I had to pick just one “hurdles only” set, this would be my top choice.
- Durable, Easy to assemble and completely portable. USA Made!
- Set of 4 Fully Adjustable Dog Agility Single Bar Jumps
- Jumps are 36" wide and feature adjustable heights from 4" up to 32"
- Each jump contains 2 adjustable jump cups and one bar
- Freestanding bases allow for training indoors or outdoors.🐶 Super for dogs of all sizes! Made in U.S.A. and is very durable and portable.
8. Ball Dynamics FitPAWS CanineGym Agility Kit
The Ball Dynamics dog agility hurdle cone set (along with the next one on the list) is a bit different than those we’ve looked at so far.
Rather than pounding stakes into the ground or relying on crossbars to keep it upright, it uses cones.
Because of this, they’re not going to be quite as high as other jumps, so they’re good for absolute beginners (or teeny tiny dogs).
Features & Pros
- Cones help add stability to the hurdles
- Collapsible rails
- Adjusts to three different heights
- Sturdier than they look!
- Again, only ideal for absolute beginners and/or very small dogs.
- Fairly pricey for what it includes (although it’s very sturdy)
- Highest height is only 8″
- No storage bag
While it may not look like much really (a few cones and poles), the set has fantastic reviews among those with small dogs.
Sure, it’s not big enough for any breed larger than, say, a Shih Tzu, but the little guys deserve something made just for them, too!
- Dimensions: 19.5L x 9.5W x 14H in.
- Collapsible rails
- Plastic construction
- Assembly required
- Lightweight for easy transport
9. Lord Anson Hurdle & Agility Set
The Lord Anson set is ideal for those who saw the kit above and thought, “no fair, I want something like that for my big dog!”
While you’re still not going to achieve the heights you can with standard hurdles, this set does expand a bit beyond the Ball Dynamics kit.
Features & Pros
- Designed and tested by a team of experienced dog owners.
- Heavy-duty tall cones with molded base for added security.
- Agility rods fit snug into the cones and won’t slide out during training.
- Easy to set up and take down. Cones stack for transport.
- Heavy duty extra long agility rods.
- Set to four heights, including 17″, 13″, 9″, or 5″
- Cones can also be used for weave training.
- Great for dogs of from the little guys to large breeds.
- While the set is great for larger breeds, the highest height is too low for giant breeds.
- The poles are prone to snapping in the middle when hit by larger dogs.
While the issue with the poles snapping is definitely a concern, your dog pretty much has to hit the pole in exactly the right place for that to happen.
Overall, dog owners love this set as a beginner hurdle set. It’s also great for physical therapy.
- LORD ANSON™ AGILITY HURDLE CONE SET - Each Lord Anson™ product is designed and tested by a team of experienced dog owners and designers to bring the best experience to both you and your pet. When you choose Lord Anson™, your dog will thank you.
- HEAVY DUTY TALL CONES - Don't settle for a low quality agility cone set. Lord Anson cones have a robust molded base for added stability and provide a snug, secure fit, so that your agility rods don't slide around during training. The cones stack for easy transport and storage and separate easily for quick set up. The rods feature heavy-duty threads and can be broken down and set-up with ease.
- EXTRA LONG HEAVY DUTY AGILITY RODS - Lord Anson™ extra long agility rods are 5 ft (1.5 meters) long to provide versatile training options, no matter the size of your dog. Other thinner, smaller rods become warped and bent during training. Lord Anson™ agility rods are made from a thick gauge, high quality plastic, to ensure they remain straight through extensive training and use.
- ADJUSTABLE AND VERSATILE - Each agility cone is approximately 21" in height and has 4 hole placements for different jumping heights. The Agility rod height can be set to 17", 13", 9", or 5" depending on the training application and size of the dog. The agility rods slide through the holes in the cone to adjust the width of the hurdle. The large blue agility cones also work well for obedience training and other agility drills such as the weave.
- GREAT FOR AGILITY, REHABILITATION, AND OBEDIENCE TRAINING. The Lord Anson™ Agility Hurdle Cone Set can be used for much more than just agility. Whether you are training your dog for an upcoming show, having recreational fun with your dog at the park, or rehabilitating an older or injured dog, the Lord Anson™ Agility Hurdle Cone Set delivers quality and performance that you can trust.
10. Weave Poles Dog Agility Equipment
Now we come to my favorite! The Weave Poles set is definitely the priciest, but look at everything it comes with!
Features & Pros
- Not just hurdles, it’s a complete agility set
- Everything is AKC regulation size for those planning on training for dog shows
- Adjustable jump bar heights
- Comes with a fun tire jump hurdle for advanced training
- The tire jump adjusts from 4″ to full AKC regulation height
- Pricey, so not really a “starter” set
- A little too lightweight, it blows over in the wind.
- The tire jump is tricky to assemble.
This is just a super neat set with so many great features, so it’s easy to see why it’s my favorite, right?
However, given the price, I definitely would wait until you’re sure your dog takes to agility training before buying it.
- Tire Jump will adjust from 4" to full AKC regulation height
- Single Double Bar Jump has adjustable jump bar heights
- AKC regulation size Weave Pole and Pole placer
- Tunnel is lightweight, yet very durable
- The perfect backyard practice and training set!
My hands-down favorite set is the last one by Weave Poles. It’s so much more than just a hurdle set, so it covers all your agility training needs.
However, since it’s pricey, my top pick for a starter set with just the hurdles would have to be the Dog Agility Shop Set.