If you’re looking for the best dog kennels, we’ve got you covered.
Driving with a dog stored in your truck bed is never a recommended option.
Sometimes, though, a dog owner might find themselves in a situation with no other solution.
Certain dog kennels can make this less than ideal scenario as safe as possible.
These crates are built with special precautions to ensure nothing tragic happens.
Let’s take a look at some examples to ensure your beloved dog remains completely safe.
You may also like: Top 5 Best Crates for Pit Bulls
Our Top Pick
If you want to skip ahead to our final recommendation, check out the Owens 55006 Dog Box!
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
6 Best Dog Kennels for Truck Beds
Check out the table below for a quick peek at our top picks pickup bed dog kennels, then read on for complete reviews.
1. Bushwhacker Truck Bed K9 Canopy
Bushwhacker Truck Bed K9 Canopy shouldn’t have any issues dealing with the feistiest dogs.
I doubt even my Pit Bull would be capable of tearing through it with its durable polyester and tear-resistant mesh design.
- Made from durable polyester and tear-resistant mesh
- Quick assembly
- Includes adjustable tether
- Affordable price
- Top-tier breathability
- Collapsing it can be an issue
This truck bed dog kennel comes in only one size: 48″ Length x 32″ Width x 30″ Height.
This option’s affordable price and breathable construction make it a hard choice to beat.
It’s easy assembly, excellent adjustable fasteners, and durable design don’t hurt matters, either.
The only downside is putting it back in storage can be a hassle, which isn’t the biggest deal.
- The K9 Canopy is constructed with durable 600 denier polyester and tear resistant mesh. The grey fabric reflects rather than absorbs sunlight; that coupled with the breathability of mesh creates a cool ride for your dog.
- Half inch pad uses closed cell foam so you can simply hose it off without worry of corrosion. Adjustable dog tether attaches to the trucks tie-down brackets and gives you piece of mind that your dog is safe and secure.
- Canopy assembles in minutes and installation is quick and easy. Secures to your truck bed with four straps and gutter hooks.
- Designed for truck beds, but is excellent for use camping, backyards, garages, and any other time your dog requires shade and a comfortable bed.
- Dimensions: 48" Length x 32" Width x 30" Height.
If you’re worried about a dog staying secure, make escaping impossible by buying UWS Northern 2-Door Deep Dog Box.
Its heavy-duty construction should ensure even the most talented dog escape artists stay contained within this kennel.
- Durable, rust-proof aluminum construction
- Insulated lid capable of retaining heat to keep dogs warm.
- Two compartments featuring a removable divider
- Storage compartment for gear
- Locks from corrosion-resistant stainless steel.
UWS Northern 2-Door Dog Box is only available in one size: 48″ length x 48″ height x 31.2″ width.
This product offers a level of safety that most dog owners might not think is possible.
But a person who wants to purchase this model will have to spend a lot of money.
However, I don’t think there’s a price anyone reading this would mind paying to keep their dog perfectly safe.
- Two dog compartment box with non-removable divider designed for dogs' comfort in cold climates
- Insulated lid retains heat to keep dogs warm and helps retain the shape of the box
- Lockable top of box 3.7 cu ft. storage compartment for gear
- Durable and rustproof aluminum construction
- Stainless steel T-handle provides dependable security with two lock keys
Pickup truck owners looking for a less involved option should consider Sliverylake Dog Cage Crate Kennel.
It might not have all the bells and whistles of our prior choice but it still does its job effectively.
- Features a plastic tray to ensure easy cleanup
- Heavy-duty, durable steel frame
- Two lockable wheels
- Two color options: black or steel
- Affordable price
- Assembly is considered a bit difficult
This option is available in three sizes: 37 inches, 42 inches, and 48 inches.
A convenient option for anyone who’s looking for an affordable dog cage for truck bed that’s still capable of keeping your dog safe.
But I did find more than a few customers had issues with the assembly process.
If you’re like me and struggle with these types of tasks, it might be wise to consider buying another kennel.
- ①Sturdy and durable: Walnest dog kennel made of rust and corrosion-resistant steel. It is strong and durable, hard to be damaged. Nontoxic finished surface keep your dog healthy and render excellent anti-rust ability.
- ②Lockable wheels: 4 wheels for convenient portability and easy storage. Contains 2 lockable wheels to prevent accidental movement and keep your dog crate securely in place.
- ③Easy to clean: Removable (slide-out) plastic tray helps you to catch the fallen dog food and excrement, and allows you to wipe and clean easily.
- ④Easy to install: All hardware included, just need to fit it with four wheels and screw bolts, locks were pre-assembled. Just takes 3-5 minutes to complete.
- ⑤Double door design: Front door design makes our dog easier to enter and easy to feed your pets. Top door make it easy to interact with your pet.
4. Owens 55006 Dog Box
The Owens 55006 Dog Box will make sure a dog travels in supreme comfort.
Its hard, cold exterior might look a prison, but inside there’s a large amount of room, making it a great dog carrier for truck bed.
I could easily fit a doggy bed and some toys inside it to make my best friend feeling right at home.
- Large area to provide excellent comfort
- Great ventilation
- Easy to use latching system
- Equipped with an insulating layer to retain heat
- Constructed from rugged diamond tread aluminum
This option is only available in one size: 48″ length x 45″ height x 26″ width
Owens thought of everything when constructing this fantastic truck bed dog crate. I couldn’t envision a kennel more equipped to keep your dog safe when traveling. But these results come at an increased price tag, which happens to the most expensive on this entire list.
5. AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate
Dog owners looking for the simplest option should look no further than AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate. It’s a cheap, effective kennel capable of making travel within a pickup truck bed safe. What more could a person ask for from this type of crate?
- Comes in two sizes: single door or double door.
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Sturdy metal construction
- Removable plastic pan for easy clean up
- Cheap price
- Bottom bars made a ton of noise during travel.
AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate is available in six sizes: 22inch, 24inch, 30-inch, 36-inch, 42-inch, and 48-inch.
It doesn’t get more bare-bones than this option. It does its primary purpose without adding any exciting features or unique qualities. But the bottom bars do produce a large amount of noise during travel. This issue could make traveling an annoying headache.
6. LUCKUP Heavy Duty Dog Crate
The LUCKUP Heavy Duty Dog Crate will provide top-tier protection for a dog traveling in a truck bed.
I found it very reassuring it was made with a stainless steel frame capable of resisting rust and corrosion.
As a result, it should provide excellent results for many years.
- Heavy-duty stainless steel frame
- Two color options: black and silver.
- Easy to clean with its removable slide-out tray
- Lockable wheels to prevent movement during travel
- Fair price
- Extremely heavy
This kennel from LUCKUP is available in five sizes: 38 inch, 42 inch, 46 inch, 48 inch, and 42 inch (upgraded).
This model comes with a lot of great features, such as its durable frame, lockable wheels, and removable slide-out tray.
But its weight could represent an issue for me.
I would have to get the 48-inch version for my Pit Bull, and this size option weighs 75 pounds.
This feature could make moving it from place to place a serious challenge.
- Heavy duty frame: made from industrial corrosion-resistant steel, indestructible and durable, hard to be damaged, nontoxic finished surface keep your dog health, suitable for most medium and large dogs, two locks with the safety buckles to prevent the high anxiety dogs from opening the door and escaping.
- Double door & locking caster design: The front door is suitable for pet in and out,the top door also can be opened for you interacting with your dog. 360 degree rotated locking casters can help you to move crate anywhere easily and lock the wheels to keep the crate in place.
- Easy to clean:Removable (slide-out) plastic tray helps you to catch the fallen dog food and excrement,and allows you to wipe and clean easily.
- Easy to assemble:All hardware pack included,just need to fit it with four wheels and eight screw bolts, locks were pre-assembled,Just takes 3-5 minutes to complete.
- Overall Dimensions: 41.5"L X 30.5"W X 37"H; Internal height of the dog cage : 32"H; Metal pipe spacing:2"; Metal"slat-like" floor spacing:1" Color: Black.
The best option would Owens 55006 Dog Box with its ability to offer both comfort and protection.
It’s one of the most expensive dog carriers for a truck bed, but keeping your dog safe with be worth every penny.
Hopefully, you’ll follow my recommendation and get one for yourself.
Please remember, though, even the safest truck bed dog cage should only be used when you have no other option.