If you’re looking for the best crates for French bulldogs, I’ve got you covered.
Below, we’ll learn all about the right size crate for your Frenchie,
Then, check out 7 that we recommend.
Grab a snack and let’s dig in!
You may also love: Top 10 Best Dog Training Tools to Keep on Hand
What is the Best Crate Size for French Bulldog?
If you’re thinking “small” is the best crate size for a French bulldog, think again! You’ll actually want to go with something more in the “medium” range.
Frenchies weigh up to 28 pounds, with most sticking right around that number. They also max out at just over a foot tall (13″).
According to the Dog.com guide to measuring dogs for crates, the 30″ (Length) is the best size for your Frenchie.
That’ll give him plenty of room to stand up, turn around, and lay down without being so roomy that he has space to do his business in the crate.
Of course, it’s smart to measure your pup first before investing in a crate, as there are always exceptions to the size “rules.” That goes for all breeds.
However, if you focus your search on medium crates, you should be just fine! That’s what I did with my top picks below. Check them out!
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Related: Best eco-friendly dog crates
Best Crates for French Bulldogs
For my top picks, I tried to give you a good variety of styles.
That way you’ll be covered whether you want to crate your Frenchie at home or on the road!
Related: Best 3 door dog crate
1. Amazonbasics Double Door Dog Crate
Amazonbasics makes surprisingly great products for what is essentially a store brand.
Then again, when you’re the world’s largest retailer, you can afford to make decent “generics,” right?
Features & Pros
- Two doors (obviously)- one on the front and one on the side
- The slide-bolt latches on both doors
- Sturdy metal construction
- Folds down for storage
- Comes with a divider panel, so you can block off part of it until your Frenchie gets bigger.
- A pain to put together
- No food bowls or anything else included
- Very smart dogs can learn how to open it fairly easily
This is my hand-down #1 pick of all the best crates for French bulldogs.
We actually have this exact crate in the larger size for my Pharaoh Hound.
While she doesn’t use it anymore (we didn’t crate train), it has survived a real beating over the last three years.
We ended up using it in the garden, to keep catnip safe from the kitties (so it could actually grow before we gave it to them).
I’ve left it in rain, sleet, snow, and probably hail. It’s still in great shape!
Now, of course I wouldn’t recommend doing that with your dog, but it’s nice to know it can hold up against a lot of wear and tear.
This is also my top choice for crate training french bulldog at night, since he’s unlikely to escape (unless he’s very determined).
Related: How to train a french bulldog puppy
2. Midwest Homes iCrate Dog Crate Starter Kit
The Midwest Homes iCrate starter kit is fantastic if you want to get all your crate supplies in one box.
Features & Pros
- Everything you need comes in one carton- 2-door iCrate, dog bed, cover and food/water bowls.
- Includes a divider to section off space you don’t need quite yet
- The bowls clip to the crate so they don’t spill.
- Both the fleece bed and polyester cover are machine-washable.
- 1-year warranty on all products.
- Doors aren’t removable, and not strong enough for really determined dogs.
- Bed is just so-so, and absolutely not chew-resistant
- Warranty only covers manufacturer defects
- Cover isn’t waterproof
While it does give you everything you need to get started with crate training your Frenchie, nothing aside from the crate is really anything special.
It’s called a “starter kit” for a reason, though. Kind of like how your “starter car” is not going to last you forever, the accessories in this kit aren’t really “long haul” items.
That said, the price is fair and the crate is very well-liked by the vast majority of dog owners, so it’s definitely worth checking out.
The divider is a nice touch that really helps avoid issues like your French Bulldog pooping in crate.
- ULTIMATE CONVENIENCE & PERFECT STARTER KIT FOR THE NEW DOG OWNER. Everything you need arrives in 1 carton so you can enjoy more time with your new family member
- MEDIUM DOG BREED KIT INCLUDES EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO GET STARTED: 1 fully equipPed 2-door iCrate, 1 dog bed, 1 crate cover & 2 (20 Ounce) pet bowls that affix to the dog crate; Dog crate measures 30L x 19W x 21H inches when assembled
- STARTER KIT ideal for medium dog breeds with adult weight up to 26 - 40 pounds
- DESIGNED TO FIT & USER FRIENDLY: Fleece pet bed & polyester crate cover fit your dog crate & are machine washable/dryer friendly; 2 inches Snap'y Fit inches dog bowls are designed to attach to the dog crate keeping food & water in one convenient location
- FULLY EQUIPPED DOG CRATE: iCrate double door included w/ this kit has a divider panel, 4 roller feet (to protect floors), carrying handle & leak-proof removable dog tray
3. Carlson Secure and Compact Single Door Metal Dog Crate
Let me start by saying that if you’re not loving the pink color, you can get it in other colors (including boring black).
Other colors and sizes are all on different listings on Amazon. (Find them all here). I purposely chose the pink because I wanted to give you a fun option!
Features & Pros
- Made entirely of steel
- Single door has a secure locking system
- Includes a pink pan that is removable and washable.
- Folds down flat for storage or travel
- While made of steel, not durable enough for really rambunctious dogs
- Only this size comes in fun colors
- Not big enough for Frenchies on the larger end of the weight range (it only holds 25 lbs)
The overall reviews are great, but a few owners felt that the steel wasn’t strong enough.
If you have a mellow Frenchie who is used to a crate, then I’d give this one a go.
It’s my top choice for a fun colorful crate. If you want it in black, however, I’d go with one of the first two crates instead.
- Durable all steel construction
- Single door design with secure locking system for your pets safety
- Includes a pink removable and washable pan
- Fold and go system for portability, storage and car travel
- For smaller breeds and puppies, up to 25 pounds
4. AmazonBasics Premium Folding Portable Soft Pet Crate
Prefer a soft crate that travels really well? Let’s head back to the Amazonbasics line and take a look a their premium folding option.
Features & Pros
- Soft crate collapses down for storage
- Made with polyester and PVC material
- Multiple screened panels for plenty of ventilation.
- Comes with a fleece-covered bed
- Accessory pockets on both the top and side
- Includes a top handle and a shoulder strap
- Available in 5 colors
- Surprisingly pricey, considering the low cost of the wire crate
- Not very secure, especially if your dog chews
- Numerous complaints about the zipper being flimsy
This is not a “leave your dog home all day” crate, but rather a “take him on the road” option.
In other words, if you’re looking for something that keeps him safe and secure while you’re at work, move along.
However, if you love taking your Frenchie on outings, it’s a wonderful choice.
- Soft-sided carrier crate for pets that collapses down easily for storage
- Made with durable polyester and PVC material
- Well-ventilated with multiple screened panels for your pet to look out of
- Includes plush fleece-covered pet bed for comfort while on the road
- Accessory pockets on the top and sides for storing treats, toys, and more
5. Veehoo Folding Soft Dog Crate
Features & Pros
- Made with strong 600D Cationic Oxford fabric and heavy-weight mesh
- The 28″ crate holds dogs up to 35 lbs
- 5-sided mesh window offers plenty of ventilation while also allowing your dog to see all around him.
- 3 roll-up entrances.
- Interior is made of collapsible & solid steel frame.
- Comes with a washable fleece pad.
- No shoulder strap,
- Carrying handles don’t look all that secure
- Very easy to chew through
While it’s definitely not good for puppies or dogs who chew, I like this one because it’s very airy and open.
If you find yourself dealing with a French Bulldog crying in crate, the openness of it is a fantastic feature.
Of course, that’s part of the problem when you have a young pup, but for older dogs who are fairly mellow, they’ll like being able to see all around them.
- Folding soft-sided 28"*20"*20" dog crate for medium dogs up to 35 lbs. Crafted of 600D Cationic Oxford fabric and heavy-weight mesh, it boasts reliable sturdiness.
- 5-sided mesh window features high ventilation and 3 roll-up entrance doors (top, front and left) allow your dog to come and go freely. Semi-closed design allows you to keep an eye on your pet.
- Dog crate interior made up of collapsible & solid steel frame and washable fleece pad, is a soothing environment for crate-training dogs. Worry-free and hygiene.
- Collapsible steel frame with retractable springs makes setup simple (no tools needed) and fold flat for easy transport and compact storage. Easy carry with handle or strap. Adjustable strap included.
- Lightweight frame and special locking mechanism makes traveling a breeze. Perfect for road trips, the great outdoors or everyday home use. Spend more time on-the-go with your beloved dog.
6. Merry Pet 2-in-1 Configurable Pet Crate and Gate
The Merry Pet 2-in-1 really should be called 3-in-1! While the name comes from the fact that it converts into a crate, it can also work as an end table in a small home.
Features & Pros
- Easily converts from a crate to a gate and back again.
- Includes a solid wood veneer cover.
- Each panel is removable, so you can build just the right size gate.
- Includes a removable plastic tray to protect flooring.
- Easy to assemble, no tools required.
- If you need to section off a large space, you’ll probably need more than one.
- Hinges aren’t the most durable.
- The top of the crate doesn’t secure to it in any way, it just lays there.
If you want something that you can use as both a small gate and a crate, this is the best buy.
It’s ideal for apartments since you can use that topper as a table as well.
I don’t love the fact that the top doesn’t secure to the crate in any way, though.
- Wooden pet crate is convertible into a gate
- Removable plastic tray
- Easy to assemble
- Dimensions: 22. 48" D x 32. 48" W x 23. 35" H
- Interior dimensions: 19. 09" D x 29. 53" W x 22. 83" H
7. Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel
While your Frenchie should never fly in the cargo hold (no flat-nosed dog should), you should still choose something that meets airline requirements.
Yes, you’ll keep him in the cabin with you, but it’s always better to be safe than arrive and find out your crate isn’t allowed.
Features & Pros
- Meets most airline specifications
- Constructed of sturdy plastic and wire mesh.
- Features wire vents on two sides
- Includes tie-down strap holes.
- Front latch is easy to open
- Easy to assemble
- Since the latch is easy to open for you, it’s also easy for smart pups!
- Hole-style vents on the back are easier for dogs to chew through
- No food bowls
- No handle
Not only is this Petmate model great for air travel, but it’s handy for car, train, and other forms of travel as well.
Plus, it’s useful even just for a trip to the vet!
- DOG AIR TRAVEL KENNEL: This medium dog travel kennel features tie-down strap holes, wire vents for ventilation a raised interior to keep pets safe and comfortable For medium dogs 30-50 lbs Measures: 32"
- AIRLINE-ADAPTABLE: This dog crate meets most airline cargo specifications Made with heavy duty recycled plastic material and features an easy-open front latch to quickly access pets
- KENNELS HOUSES: Crate kennel training is vital for dog safety comfort We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses more
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats furry friends in general Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens other small furry friends Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm Hammer, Booda, Chuckit, Jackson Galaxy more
Out of all my picks for the best crates for French bulldogs, I really like the Amazonbasics standard two-door model the best. Like I said, mine has really held up to a lot of wear and tear.
If you’re planning to travel, though, you’ll either want the soft-sided Amazonbasics or the Petmate.
Do you have any other picks for the best crates for French bulldogs? Share below!
Do you have any current dog training challenges?
Sign Up & Get Weekly Tips To Overcome These Challenges
This is perfect. My folks are considering getting a french bulldog so will pass the list along to them.
I have a friend who has a french bulldog. I will make sure to share this link with her.
Didn’t realize there are so many different types of crates. Good to know.
Didn’t realize there are so many different types of crates. Good to know. Thanks for the tips.
French bulldogs are so adorable. I never knew they needed these kinds of crates, there are some good choices here.
Wow, I did not know there were so many crates to choose from! This is wild and thanks so much for breaking them down, this list with the pros and cons really helps.
Aw look at their little faces…fresh bull dogs are very cute. My friend has one so I will send this her way regarding the crates x
They are so cute! I think it’s important to remember to get a little large crate for small dogs so they have room to be comfortable. Thanks for sharing!
This is a really great guide. I like that each one has pros and cons to help French Bulldog owners find the best option for them.
Variety of options to choose from will send this to my friend