Wondering if there are any eco-friendly dog crates?
Turns out, there are actually a few of them (although not as many as I’d hoped).
Read on to find out what makes a crate eco-friendly and which I think are the “greenest” overall.
First, though, let’s cut to the chase and take a quick peek at the crates I’ll be talking about.
You may also like: Best Airline Crates for German Shepherds
Our top 5 picks at a glance
If you just want to know right now which crates I recommend and don’t really need a bunch of details, check out the table below.
Head’s up, the product links are affiliate links, meaning we earn a commission if you buy through them.
Related: Dog Kennel Training Tips
What Makes a Crate “Eco-Friendly”
Eco-friendly materials fall into a two basic categories:
- Sustainable and renewable– basically things like bamboo, hemp, and certain types of wood.
- Recycled materials– such as plastics made entirely out of recycled bottles
Now, in my opinion, the first is obviously more earth-friendly. Plastic is still plastic, after all.
Unfortunately, it’s nearly impossible to find dog crates that don’t use plastic in some form.
Wood is another tricky one. Some wood is eco-friendly. It depends on where it comes from (both the area and the type of tree) and whether new trees are planted for every one removed.
Then there’s steel, a whole different category. According to some, it’s earth-friendly because it lasts a very long time and can easily be endlessly recycled.
Others say that it’s not because the process of making it puts a lot of pollution into the environment.
Since every single factory creates pollution, we’re going to focus on the materials part of the eco-friendly equation.
Basically, unless you build a dog crate from felled trees in your own back yard, it’s impossible to find a 100% eco-friendly option.
I mean, even just the act of transporting a crate made from felled trees in someone else’s yard adds pollution to the air.
Long story short, I did my best to find the most eco-friendly dog crates possible, but nothing is perfect.
Let’s take a look at what I came up with.
Related: Top 5 dog crate water bottles
Top 5 Best Eco-Friendly Dog Crates
1. Petmate Sky Kennel
Did you know that most of Petmate’s crates and carriers are made entirely of eco-friendly recycled plastic?
They have a pretty extensive line of crates, but I chose the Sky Kennel because it’s a travel-friendly crate as well as a good everyday crate.
Features & Pros
- Numerous sizes for dogs from chihuahua-sized all the way up to German Shepherds.
- Heavy-duty travel kennel made from strong recycled plastic.
- Comes with travel accessories like “Live Animal” stickers, clip-on bowls, and ID stickers.
- 4-way vault door for added security.
- 360 degree ventilation so your dog can breathe easily no matter where you put the kennel.
- Meets most airline requirements.
- Sizes max out at 48″, so it wouldn’t be large enough for a giant breed.
- The ventilation on the back consists of holes punched in the plastic, which is easier for dogs to chew through.
- Petmate has royally screwed up their sizing descriptions on nearly every kennel, so you can’t trust the bullet-point descriptions.
Aside from the fact that Petmate desperately needs a new proofreader (they give the same dimensions and weight limits on nearly every product of every size), this is still a great pick.
Yes, it’s plastic, but as we discussed above, it’s recycled plastic.
Just remember to keep the “green” going. When you’re done with it, either donate, upcycle, recycle, or sell it (in that order).
- Extra Security: 4 way vault door provides extra security for the travel dog crate by preventing sliding and shifting (available on 36 inch size and up)
- Durable, Heavy Duty Construction: Durable plastic shell, non corrodible wing nuts, extra strong steel wire, and interlocking door provide heavy duty protection
- 360 Degree Ventilation: Ventilation openings surrounding the travel kennel give pets fresh air and visibility from all sides
- Travel Necessities Included: Portable dog kennel includes 2 Live Animal stickers, clip on bowls and ID stickers for easy modification for travel. Top Handle available on 21 inch and 28 inch sizes
- Airline Adaptable: The Petmate Sky Kennel meets most airline cargo specifications for easy and safe travel, but pet owners should always check with individual airlines
Related: Best dog crate for cocker spaniel
2. ecoFlex Pet Crate
The ecoFLEX Pet Crate is made of ” a composite material Made from recycled polymers and reclaimed poplar wood fibers,” according to the brand.
I’ll be honest here, if this was a list of the top 5 best crates overall, I wouldn’t be talking about it. The crate has some major cons and only scores 3.5 stars overall.
However, as far as eco-friendly dog crates go, it’s one of the best options.
Features & Pros
- Made with ecoFLEX materials, as described above
- Doubles as an end table
- Looks really nice in your home
- Comes in 4 sizes for dogs up to 100 lbs
- Easy assembly, no tools needed
- Bars are not the most durable
- No sizes for giant breeds
The biggest complaint about this crate is the fact that it’s easy for dogs to escape. The bars in particular aren’t the strongest.
As long as your dog is crate-trained and taught to like his “den,” then you shouldn’t have an issue.
However, if your dog even remotely dislikes being crated, it’s probably not going to hold him.
In other words, this isn’t a “starter” crate.
- Made with ecoFLEX, an eco-friendly and durable composite material
- Easy to clean
- Easy, no-tools assembly.
- Requires no maintenance
- Inspiring your pet style. Color goes all the way through the material so scratches are less likely to show
3. FURUISEN Heavy Duty Dog Crate
The FURUISEN makes the list because they use super strong, durable, and recyclable steel along with a non-toxic finish.
Features & Pros
- Made with galvanized pipes welded to ensure strong construction.
- Coating is non-toxic and earth-friendly
- Both top and side doors
- Front door locks with two slide bolts
- Top door is removable for cleaning
- Removable floor tray
- Easy to assemble
- 3 sizes ranging from 37-48″
- Looks and feels more like a cage
- Incredibly strong and determined dogs can, apparently, bend the steel according to one review.
- Bottom needs something to make it comfortable (like a mat)
- Not big enough for giant breeds
Yes, it looks and feels a lot like a cage, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be used as a traditional kennel.
If you add a cozy bed or mat and leave the door open, your dog can use it as his own personal den.
For those times when you absolutely need a strong crate, though, you can lock it up.
Since the materials are so durable, you can easily upcycle this and use it in a garden later. We use our dog’s old crate to keep plants secure from wildlife.
- √UPGRADED LOCK CONFIGURATION: To upgrade the traditional double locking mechanism, we applied a mountaineering latch as a gift to anti-escape lock of the crate, which will perform better in escape prevention. It can securely lock the door in place and keep your dog safely inside their pet home. Don't worry about your dog will open the lock and escape, destroy furniture when you are not at home.
- √SAFE & RELIABLE： The heavy duty dog crate is made from corrosion-resistant，surface non-toxic steel and welded parts ，which means this kennel can prevent the most aggressive canines from escaping.
- √OPTIMAL VENTILATION & VISIBILITY：The sturdy metal frame and double door not only allow you to interact with your dog, but also provide optimal ventilation and visibility which offer your dog a comfortable environment.
- √EASY TO CLEAN & SUPERIOR MOBILITY : Removable (slide-out) plastic tray and 360 degree rotated locking casters help you to catch the fallen dog food and excrement, and allows you to wipe and clean easily.
- √EASY INSTALLATION: All hardware pack and assemble instructions included, Just takes 2-4 minutes to complete. Overall Dimensions: 37.5"L X 25.5"W X 32"H. Any questions directly contact us, we offer 100% customer service.
4. Aspen Pet Traditional Kennel
AspenPet is actually part of the Petmate brand, and like its parent company, it uses recycled plastic for most of its products.
Features & Pros
- 360 degree ventilation
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Uses 95% recycled pre-consumer plastic
- Includes a handle on top
- Simple squeeze latch door
- Meets most air travel requirements.
- 3 sizes
- Largest size is 28″, so nothing for medium to big breeds
- Pins are hard to seat properly, so dogs can break out
- Not durable enough for really determined pups who hate the crate
This is a budget-friendly alternative to Petmate’s higher-end kennels.
It’s not going to hold a really determined dog. Nor is it large enough for anything beyond the smaller end of medium breeds.
However, if you need something for, say, a Corgi, and he’s pretty content to chill in his crate, it’s a good option.
5. Lovupet Wooden Portable Foldable Pet Crate
Our last pick is a unique dog crate that’s made from fir (a fast-growing wood that’s typically considered sustainable).
That’s not what makes it so unique though. Read on to find out what does!
Features & Pros
- Folding crate that requires zero assemble. Just unfold and go!
- Made with solid fir wood and non-toxic finish
- Doubles as a table
- Two places for the tray (on the floor of the crate or below it)
- Top opens for easy cleaning
- Only holds dogs up to 45 lbs
- Not strong enough for dogs who hate the crate
- Only one entrance
I love that this crate folds when it’s not needed. If you have a small home, you know how that feature alone makes it a top pick.
Once again, though, it’s not going to hold super determined dogs. My advice? Train your dog to love the crate!
- 【Portable】The cage can be easily moved to anywhere.
- 【Unique Design】Two places for the tray : on the floor, or below the floor.
- 【Assembly in Seconds】Lovupet wooden dog only 1 step to assemble and all in one piece --no tools required.
- 【Multiple Uses】Solid wood is enough sturdy for pets up to 45 LB and use as a table.
- 【Shipping & Customer Service】We packed item as good as we can, if there is any damaged part, please contact us first and offer us pictures of damaged part, we will solve the problem as the way you want(discount or replacement).
Out of all these eco-friendly dog crates, I feel like the Petmate is the best all-around.
While I don’t love that it’s plastic, at least it’s recycled materials. The wooden crates are awesome and all, but I feel like the Petmate is just more diverse.